Meet the LatticeAx® Product Line – an accurate, fast, low-cost cleaving solution, suitable for any lab. The LatticeAx® is a precision cleaver that fits in the palm of your hand. In an amazingly small footprint (4" cube, 100 mm³), the patent-pending "Ax" and process are designed to assist the user to cleave site specific targets, as well as wafers, strips, or pieces to precisely sized samples with localized targets. One of the smallest, most efficient silicon wafer cleaving tools in the world, the LatticeAx® is sure to revolutionize your workflow.
The LatticeAx® features and process optimize the very basic elements of the manual cleaving technique and help overcome manual cleaving disadvantages, such as lack of accuracy and repeatability. This machine-assisted hybrid cleaving tool bridges the gap between manual scribing and fully automated cleaving. It increases success rate by any user while keeping costs down. It takes little training and users will be "cleaving in minutes and experts in a day."
LatticeAx® – New Way of Cleaving
LatticeAx is fundamentally different from manual cleaving because it:
- Replaces human vision with a high-magnification digital microscope to precisely select the target
- Replaces hand coordination with precision positioning knobs, resulting in a repeatable process that is not user-dependent
- Produces an indent on the surface <1 mm in length, ~10µm in width at a very shallow depth
- Employs a controlled "slow cleave" that follows the crystal plane, rather than a break along a scribed line
This machine-assisted hybrid cleaving tool bridges the gap between manual scribing and fully automated cleaving. It also increases success rate by any user while keeping costs down. Cleaving with the LatticeAx 225 and 420 products deliver 20 and 10µm targeting accuracy respectively. Cleaving is fast (<5 minutes), clean and repeatable.
While a manual scribe and cleave is fast (about 2 minutes), it is not repeatable or accurate. Accuracy can be improved when the manual scribe is made while viewing the sample with a stereoscope (50-100µm). In both cases, targeting accuracy and quality varies by user.
In the past decade, automated micro-cleaving tools improved targeting accuracy and sample quality needed for high resolution SEM imaging. These improvements came with strict pre-preparation requirements, lower throughput, inability to handle small and thin samples, and much higher cost than manual cleaving.
The LatticeAx features and process optimizes the very basic elements of the manual cleaving technique and overcomes manual cleaving disadvantages, such as lack of accuracy and repeatability.
- Precision mechanics integrated with high resolution optics and independently controlled sample and indenter stages
- LatticeAx indents. A shallow indent is made on the surface of the sample. No scribing
- Clean and accurate cleaves in <5 minutes. No dust, just a straight, long cleave with a mirror finish
Fast – 5 Minute Process
- Quick targeting with variable zoom
- Digitally displayed real-time imaging
Versatile – wide range of sample size, substrate type and top layers
- Site specific cross-section for SEM analysis
- Target localization prior to FIB or broad ion beam
- Downsize samples for SEM with height restriction
- Cleaving to create uniform samples for other analysis tools with non-wafer scale stages
- Vertical, mirror image cleaving for photonics analysis
- Flat, stable surface to support the LatticeAx at least 18" x 24" or 41 cm x 61 cm surface space
- Power for the vacuum pump (110V or 220V depending on local requirements)
- Computer running Windows 7 or XP with mouse, keyboard, monitor, video cable to the monitor
- The Cleaving Station
- Cleaving Kit
- Marker-Scriber Kit
- Lattice Scriber
- CleanBreak Pliers
Using the LatticeAx, wafer cleaving is accomplished in three basic steps that compliment existing skill sets used in wafer analysis.
LatticeAx® Complete Options Package
Two spare custom diamond knives for the LatticeAx. The LatticeAx knife is replaced by the user and comes with allen wrenches and installation instructions. This package includes:
- The LatticeAx Diamond Indenter: Two spare diamond knives
- Cleaving Kit: The complete tool set to get from wafer to cleanly cleaved pieces. This is a critical step to getting the best cross sections. The kit includes wafer mat, scribes for marking and scribing, pliers for cleaving, rulers and instructions.
- Diamond Scriber: Pen style, optimal for top down scribe
- Diamond Scriber: Straight tip, optimal for top down precise marking and/or scribing
- Diamond Scriber: 30 degree tip, optimal for top down precise marking and/or scribing
- L-Square: 24" x 8½", phenolic, non-warping, ruler acts as guide for macro cleaving up to 300 mm wafers without damaging the top surface of the cleaving station
- CleanBreak Pliers: 6" wafer-cleaving pliers. Simple and clean way to cleave (post scribe) wafers to strips and smaller pieces. ¾" jaw
- Large Cutting Mat: Wafer-cutting mat, self healing, double sided, green and black, 18" x 24"
- Small Ruler Mat: Self healing, Small wafer piece ruler mat, double sided, green and black, 3½" x 5½"