Q150T Plus Turbomolecular Pumped Coater
The Q150T Plus is optimized for use with a turbomolecular pump, which gives a lower vacuum down to 5 x 10-5 mbar. This enables the sputtering of oxidizing metals, which have a lower grain size suitable for high-resolution imaging. Similarly, lower scattering allows for high purity, amorphous carbon films of high density.
Sputter coating of noble and oxidizing metals using the Q150T S Plus & Q150T ES Plus:
Recommended for magnifications:
- Up to x 50k using Au, Au/Pd
- Up to x 100k using Pt
- above x 100k using Cr, Ir(optional)
Ideal for thin film applications such as coating with ITO, W, Al, Zn.
- New touch and swipe capacitive screen
- USB port for upgrades and download of process log files
- Multiple-user profiles can be set up on one machine
- New software sorts recipes per user according to recent use
- 16GB of memory can store more than 1000 recipes
- New multi-color LED visual status indicator
- Capable of achieving vacuum of 5 x 10-5 mbar
The Q150T Plus is available in three configurations:
- Q150T S Plus – An automatic sputter coater for non-oxidizing metals. Sputtering targets include; Cr, Ir, W, ITO, Al. Other targets available.
- Q150T E Plus – An automatic carbon cord coater for SEM applications such as EDS and WDS. Metal evaporation/aperture cleaning option available.
- Q150T ES Plus – A combined system system capable of both sputtering and carbon coating. The deposition heads can be swapped in seconds. Metal evaporation/aperture cleaning option available.
Recommended applications for Q150T Plus
- High-resolution magnification SEM
- Protective platinum layers for FIB
- R&D of corrosion-, friction-, and wear-protective layers
- Protective layers on medical devices
- BSE imaging
- EDX, WDS, EBSD analysis
- Carbon coating of replicas
These products are for Research Use Only.
- Capacitive touch screen is more sensitive for ease of use
- User interface software has been extensively revised, using a modern smartphone-style interface
- Comprehensive context-sensitive help screen
- USB interface allows easy software updates and backing up/copying of recipe files to USB stick
- Process log files can be exported via USB port in .csv format for analysis in Excel or similar. Log files include date, time and process parameters.
- 16GB of flash memory can store more than 1000 recipes
- Dual-core ARM processor for a fast, responsive display
Allows multiple users to input and store coating recipes, with a new feature to sort recipes per user according to recent use.
Intelligent system logic automatically detects which insert is in place and displays the appropriate operating settings and controls for that process.
System prompts user to confirm target material and it then automatically selects appropriate parameters for that material.
Intuitive software allows the most inexperienced or occasional operator to rapidly enter and store their own process data. For convenience a number of typical sputtering and carbon coating profiles are already stored but also allows the user to create their own.
Software detects failure to achieve vacuum in a set period of time and shuts down the process in case of vacuum leak, which ensures pump protection from overheating.
Controlled ramped carbon rod evaporation
Careful evaporation allows precise control of carbon thickness (with or without the optional film thickness monitor). The quality of the resulting carbon films is also enhanced by the eradication of "sparking" that is a common feature of less advanced coaters.
For reproducible high-quality carbon films, we would recommend the use of shaped carbon rods. Rods are higher purity, less susceptible to debris and easier to control. Pulsed and ramped carbon rod recipes are supplied as standard.
Cool Magnetron Sputtering
Sputter coating is a technique widely used in various applications; it is possible to create a plasma and sputter metals with high voltage, poor vacuum and no automation. However, this is not suitable for electron microscopy applications because it will heat the sample and can result in damage when the plasma interacts with the sample. The Q150T Plus series uses low temperature enhanced-plasma magnetrons optimized for the rotary pump pressures, combined with low current and deposition control, which ensures your sample is protected and uniformly coated.
The Q150T S Plus and Q150T ES Plus use easy-change, 57 mm diameter, disc-style targets which are designed to sputter oxidizing and noble metals. The Q150T S Plus and Q150T ES Plus are fitted as standard with a chromium (Cr) sputter target. Other targets options include Au, Au/Pd, Pt/Pd, Pd, Pt, Cu, Ir, W, ITO and Al. Others are available on request.
Pulsed cleaning for Aluminum sputtering
Aluminum (Al) rapidly forms an oxide layer which can be difficult to remove, but the Q150T ES Plus & Q150T S Plus have special recipes for Al that reduce the oxide removal time and prevent excessive pre-sputtering of the target.
Interchangeable plug-in heads
This allows the user to configure the system as a sputter coater, evaporator or glow discharge system – all in one space saving format. A carbon cord evaporation insert is available as an option. Automatic detection of the head type when changed.
Detachable chamber with built-in implosion guard
Removable glass chamber and easily accessible base and top plate allows for an easy cleaning process. Users can rapidly change the chamber, if necessary, to avoid cross contamination of sensitive samples. Tall chamber option is available for carbon evaporation to avoid sample heating, improved uniformity for sputtering and to hold taller samples.
Multiple stage options
The Q150T Plus has specimen stages to meet most requirements. All are easy-change, drop-in style (no screws) and are height adjustable (except for the rotary planetary stage).
- Rotation stage (supplied as standard): 50 mm Ø can accommodate six standard stubs. Height can be pre-set.
- Rotate-tilt stage for improved uniform coating: 50 mm Ø. Tilt and height can be pre-set.
- Variable angle, rotary planetary stage for heavily contoured samples.
- Large flat rotation stage with offset gear box for 4"/100 mm wafers.
- Rotation stage for glass microscope slides.
Other options are available on request.
The Q150T Plus meets key industry CE standards
- All electronic components are protected by covers
- Implosion guard prevents user injury in event of chamber failure
- Vacuum interlocks remove power from deposition sources to prevent user exposure to high voltage in event of chamber being opened
- Electrical interlocks remove power when source head cover opened
- Overheating protection shuts down power supply
||585 mm W x 470 mm D x 410 mm H
Total height with coating head open is 650 mm
||33.4 kg (Packed 42 kg)
||725 mm W x 660 mm D x 680 mm H
||Borosilicate glass 150 mm ID x 133 mm H
||115.5 mm W x 86.4 mm H (active area), 640 RGB x 480 (display format), capacitive touch color display
||Full graphical interface with touch screen buttons. Includes features such as a log of the last 1000 coatings and reminders for when maintenance is due.
||Disc-style 57 mm Ø 0.3 mm thick chromium (Cr) target is fitted as standard. T S and T ES versions only
||50 mm Ø rotation stage with rotation speed of 8-20 rpm.
Other stages available on request.
||5m3/hr two-stage rotary pump with oil mist filter. Hydraulically-formed bellows stainless-steel backing line.
||Internally mounted 70 L/s air-cooled
||Pirani gauge as standard. A wide range guage is available as an option.
||5 x 10-3 mbar
Typical ultimate vacuum of the pumping system in a clean instrument after pre-pumping and venting with dry nitrogen gas.
|Sputter vacuum range
||Between 5 x 10-3 and 5 x 10-1 mbar
||Sputter current 0-150 mA to a predetermined thickness (with optional FTM) or by the built-in timer. The maximum sputtering time is 60 minutes (without breaking vacuum and with automatically built-in cooling periods)
||Carbon evaporation using rods/cord. Thermal evaporation of metals from filaments or boats. For cleaning TEM apertures, a standard molybdenum boat (supplied) can be fitted.
Visual status indicator
A large multi-color status indicator light provides a visual indication of the state of the equipment, allowing users to easily identify the status of a progress at a distance.
The indicator LED shows the following states:
- Process running
- Coating in progress
- Process completed
- Process ended in fault condition
Audio indication also sounds on completion of the process.