- Better delayering results – The ULTRACOLLIMATOR option allows for improved parallelism, improving the 'sweet spot' of the delayered surface
- Fast & repeatable alignment – precise 2-circle tilt-adjust, coupled with high quality linear bearings in the Z-axis provide for optical alignment that does not wander.
- Slurry polishing – A recirculating pump may be added, in addition to the standard coolant system. Slurries are held within a drip tray for easy disposal, or re-use.
- Avoids cross-contamination – The unique slurry / drip tray concept allows convenient removal and cleaning of all items that come into contact with abrasives and polishing media
ULTRAPOL Advance has been designed to be an all-in-one lapping & polishing workstation for the production of flat surfaces. Advance's unbeatable combination of advanced control and process features allow for the accurate processing of modern generations of IC's.
Key applications of the technology include:
- Topside electronic de-processing – enabled by the advanced angular control and optical enhancements such as ULTRACOLLIMATOR.
- Backside preparation of packages and wafers, particularly for flip-chips – and rapid global thinning of larger surfaces.
- Cross-sectioning of die and package-level devices.
Along with its signature Quick Release interface and workholder technologies, ULTRAPOL Advance offers completely new designs for sample loading, oscillation and tilt alignment.
Fast and convenient sample movement between polisher & microscope, coupled with the option of the ULTRACOLLIMATOR optical alignment system, provides reference to the die -- a huge improvement over earlier generation polishers.
The system allows recirculating slurry polishing (key for many delayering operations) as well as standard faucet coolant. For aggressive material removal operations (such as the back-thinning of larger flip chips), a 'Power Polish' mode is incorporated that rotates the sample during processing.
- Works in conjunction with tilt controls to control sample alignment
- Improves alignment accuracy up to 20X
- Suits topside & backside electronic sample polishing
- Suits requirements for double sided polishing
Our patented ULTRACOLLIMATOR technology allows for fast accurate and repeatable parallel alignment of surfaces to the polisher. Since the collimator beam optically aligns directly to the die, there is no guesswork or the need to use mechanical indicators. Alignment is constantly monitored during polishing. Transfer to-and-from the microscope is made fast and accurate. Any small realignments can be made quickly and accurately.
ULTRACOLLIMATOR modules allow the user to produce the finest results of sample parallelism with both flat lapping and selected area preparation machines. The units produce a 'single box' solution, incorporating an lcd screen and all the controls required to align the sample.
The use of optical alignment allows for simpler faster and significantly more accurate alignment to be achieved on a range of sample types and applications including: Crystal polishing, Double side wafer polishing, Topside de-processing of layers of metal circuitry for electronic failure analysis and competitive analyses, Backside polishing of packaged computer dice for 'through silicon' microscopy.
ULTRAPOL Advance Polishing System includes: Base unit with timer, oscillator, speed control (50 to 400rpm), 8" (200mm) Polishing plate Sample Z-direction control with 1µm precision Mechanical alignment indicator 2 circle tilt control (+/- 2 degrees) Sample Rotation control Quick release interface mounting system 2 sample mounting plates and start-up accessory kit Sample Load Control - 0 to 3 kg (in 50 gram increments) Drip Tray / Slurry Containment Tray.
ULTRACOLLIMATOR includes: main unit, incorporating laser module, cross-hair generator, and 6.5 inch LCD monitor, with Video Out (NTSC). Includes optical flat and mounting bracket for ULTRAPOL advance.